About the Section
Whether you are fresh out of law school or coming to Delaware after years of practice in another jurisdiction, membership in the Young Lawyers Section provides newly admitted attorneys the opportunity to become acclimated to the practice of law in Delaware, meet their new colleagues, and learn about the activities of the Delaware State Bar Association. The YLS sponsors informative seminars relevant to the issues facing attorneys new to Delaware practice, provides resources to help them establish roots in the legal community, and promotes collegiality through a variety of social gatherings in all three counties. The YLS is non-practice specific, so its events present unique opportunities to work with attorneys from all areas of the legal spectrum.
|Chair||Brandon R. Harper|
|Vice-Chair, New Castle County||Holly Megan Smith|
|Vice-Chair, Kent & Sussex Counties||Nicolas E. Jenner|
|Secretary||Edward A. Corma|
|Secretary for Communications & Technology||Emily A. Bryant-Alvarez|
|Treasurer||Callan R. Jackson|
|Immediate Past Chair||Aman K. Sharma|
Join the Young Lawyers Section!
If you have been a member of the Delaware bar for ten years or less, we highly encourage you to join the YLS. Please contact LaTonya Tucker,?Director of Bar Services and Membership, to join the Section. Dues are $15 annually and support the Section’s events.
If you’d like to know more about the Section and its initiatives, please contact Shannon Humiston or stop by one of our meetings, happy hours, or events.
2020-2021 Section Calendar
- Happy Hours: Happy hours are held each month from October through June. ? ? ? These informal events are a great way to meet new colleagues and for prospective members to find out more about the YLS.
- Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive and Happy Hour in Connection with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program: We will be collecting new and unwrapped toys for newborns through age 12 to donate to the Toys for Tots program this holiday season. This year’s event is being held on Thursday, December 1 at 6:00pm (location TBA).
- YLS at the Beach Happy Hour: Please join us on September 21, 2018 for our annual downstate happy hour.
- CLE: The YLS will be sponsoring a series of lunch and learn seminars on the topic “What I Wish I Had Learned in Law School.” More information will be provided through the DSBA and the TLS listservs.
- Annual Art Connolly Race Judicata 5K Run/Walk: The annual 5K road race to support the Delaware Law Related Education Center (DELREC) is held annually in/around April. Please check back for more information.
- Summer Associate Judicial Panel and Reception: The YLS hosts this annual program each July. This special event provides summer interns from firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations with an opportunity to interact with members of the Delaware judiciary and learn what makes practicing in Delaware so unique. The program consists of a one-hour panel discussion and thirty-minute question and answer session, followed by a cocktail reception.
- Annual Combined Campaign Cup: This golf and tennis tournament to benefit the Combined Campaign for Justice is held each year in July. For more information, please visit http://delawareccj.org/combined-campaign-cup/.
Projects and Resources
- New Lawyers’ Survival Guide – Each year, the members of the YLS and Delaware Bar create a new edition of a “survival” guide for practicing law in Delaware. The guide is distributed to the new admitted of the Delaware Bar at the Supreme Court Pre-Admission Conference each November. ?For more information about the guide, please contact Allison McCowan. ?The Survival Guide may be found here.
- Access to Justice Pro Se Form Revision Project – In collaboration with the Access to Justice Commission, members of the YLS have been involved in an ongoing project to recommend changes to clarify and streamline forms used by pro se litigants in Delaware courts. For more information about the project, please contact Shannon Humiston.
Volunteer with the Young Lawyers Section
The YLS welcomes volunteers interested in helping with its events and projects. Volunteering with the Section provides excellent networking opportunities and is a great service to the bar. To volunteer, please contact Jennifer Rutter.
*Check this page often for the most up-to-date information regarding Section events and initiatives!*For information regarding Sections, please contact?LaTonya Tucker, Director of Bar Services and Membership.
Changes to the Section’s webpage must be sent to WebsiteUpdates@dsba.org.